Sunday, May 8, 2011

Sunshine On A Rainy Day


This picture is of a delightfully yellow ranuncula. It was taken in early March 2011, in my garden. One of my passions is gardening. I love growing things, even more than just growing things, I love taking pictures of things I am growing. On any day at about 6:30, you can find me in the yard watering plants in sweats, flip-flops, and a old t-shirt. I love, love, love the "golden hour" of the day. The time of day when twilight is just around the corner, the shadows are long, and the light for photography is perfect. All of the day's worries melt away. It's the time that I unwind and enjoy the quiet of the flies buzzing, water drops on broad pumpkin leaves, and the earthy smell of compost and peat.

Our big project in March was adding four more raised beds to our growing garden plot. One of these beds we dedicated to the flowers that we love; poppies, ranunculas, daisies, cosmos, and sweet william. This flower is in that flower bed. This photo was taken during that special golden hour, after the watering. As the background suggests the dark was falling quickly. It was taken with my macro lens, no flash. I used Adobe Lightroom to add the watermark, but did not change any of the other values.

The thing that I love the most about this photo is how the dew drops are formed on the foremost leaf. I also like that the background is so very dark; it makes the yellow so sharp and clean. I like ranunculas, but I don't like how quickly they open to full blossom and then you can see the weird pointed middle stem inside (in my opinion, poppies have much cuter full blossoms). This picture was taken the day before this particular flower went into full bloom; perfect timing, perfect lightening, perfect little dew drops.


http://www.etsy.com/listing/73285504/a-drop-of-sunshine-8x10-fine-art-print?ref=pr_shop

No comments:

Post a Comment